FRANCIS WRIGHT FAMILY
AMHERST COUNTY, VIRGINIA
Compiled by Thelma Faye Cain Prince, © Copyright 1998
Generation No. 3
14. MOSES3 WRIGHT (BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born Abt. 1753 in Virginia, and died March 1830 in Amherst Co. Va.. He married ELIZABETH WHITEHEAD Abt. 1772 in Amherst Co. Va., daughter of JOHN WHITEHEAD and SARAH BURCHER.
Notes for MOSES WRIGHT:
Moses Wright was a Revolutionary soldier from Amherst Co. VA. (Albemarle Co.
until 1761). See Elizabeth Wright's widow's pension claim W6591, National Archives. The first three children's names came from the claim. This Moses was the son of Elizabeth and Benjamin Wright (died 1799). John C. Whitehead, J.P. took the details of the pension claim from Elizabeth in August 1843. Other sources used in this compilation were: DEEDS OF AMHERST AND ALBEMARLE COUNTIES, VIRGINIA, COURTHOUSE MINIATURES, both by Bailey Fulton Davis; also marriage records and wills of Amherst County. The following is a list of deeds in which you will find some members of this family: Deed Bk C:295, D:421-422;E:59; F:4,45,224,486; G:359; I:273, 377, K:501.
Descendants provided information on their respective ancestors and their families.
More About MOSES WRIGHT:
Residences: Amherst Co. Va.
Military: Rev. War from Amherst Co. Va.
Children of MOSES WRIGHT and ELIZABETH WHITEHEAD are:
18. i. BENJAMIN 4 WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1775, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Aft. 1855, Amherst Co. Va. or Nelson Co. Va.?.
19. ii. MARY NANCY WRIGHT, b. February 1775, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Aft. 1830, Maybe DeKalb Co. Ga.
iii. MATILDA WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1776, Amherst Co. Va..
20. iv. JOHN W. WRIGHT, b. 1780, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Bef. 1840, ? Va.
21. v. ELIZABETH WRIGHT, b. 1784-1790, Amherst Co. Va.; d. 1830-1840, probably Hall or DeKalb Co. Ga.
22. vi. MORRIS WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1787, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Rockbridge Co.Va.
vii. MOSES WRIGHT, JR., b. Abt. 1788, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Rockbridge Co. Va.
23.viii. JESSE WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1793, Amherst Co. Va.; d. May 15, 1873, Amherst Co. Va.
ix. RHODA ANN WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1794, Amherst Co. Va.; d. July 28, 1846, Hamilton Co. In; m. STEPHEN COTTRELL, February 18, 1812, Amherst Co. Va.
24. x. BETHENA WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1795, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Aft. 1847, Probably Edgar Co. IL.
xi. CARY WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1798, Amherst Co. Va.; m. ELIZABETH GILL, November 07, 1825, Amherst Co. Va.
xii. MARY "POLLY" WRIGHT, b. December 15, 1799, Amherst Co. Va.; d. February 23, 1875, Newman, IL; m. PEACHY CASH, November 17, 1817, Amherst Co. Va.
14. SUSANNAH3 WRIGHT (BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born Nov. 4, 1761 in Amherst Co. Va., and died December 01, 1847 in Nelson Co. Va. She married JOHN MASSEY/MASSIE January 01, 1779 in Amherst Co. Va. He was born April 3, 1756, Albemarle Co. Va., and died Oct. 20, 1800, Amherst Co. Va.
More About JOHN MASSEY/MASSIE:
Military: Revolutionary Soldier; see pension claim. John is said to have been the first school teacher in the Piney River area of Amherst Co.
Children of SUSANNAH WRIGHT and JOHN MASSEY/MASSIE are:
i. EDMUND 4 b. July 8, 1780; d. 1869; m. NANCY WORTHAM.
ii. WILLIAM , b. April 15, 1783, Amherst Co. Va.; m. JEMIMA CASH, October 07, 1807, Amherst Co. Va.
Notes for WILLIAM MASSEYMASSIE:
Witness to marriage of William and Jemima Cash Massie was William Cash. Surety witness, Stephen Cash, J.B. Edwards, James Cash, David S. Garland. Minister's return dated 20 June 1808 by William Duncan. This was the same minister who married Stephen P. Cash and Elizabeth Wright in 1806. Jemima was probably the daughter of William Cash and Jane Patterson, by the process of deductive reasoning and elimination of others as her father. When William Cash died in 1850, DeKalb Co. Ga. his estate provided for two Massie grandchildren not named.
iii. CHARLES, b. April 1, 1785; m. FRANCES DODD, Jan. 5, 1813.
iv. THOMAS, b. March 30, 1787; d. 1865; m. NANCY MADDOX, Nov. 3, 1823, Nelson Co. Va.
v. JOHN JR., b. July 13, 1789; m. SALLIE CAMPBELL, daughter of John and Frances Campbell of Amherst Co. Va.
vi. ELIZABETH, b. Oct 14, 1791; m. ROLAND GILL, Jan. 16, 1817. Moved to Rockbridge Co. by 1853.
vii. JESSE, b. Nov. 13, 1793; d. April 2, 1882; m. PAMELIA CAMPBELL, daughter of John and Frances Campbell, on Nov. 15, 1818, Amherst Co. Va.
viii. MARY, b. June 13, 1796; d. Jan. 17, 1817; m. GEORGE WASHINGTON CAMPBELL, son of John and Frances Campbell. on Jan. 22, 1817, Amherst Co. Va.
ix. NANCY FOUNTAIN, b. April 15, 1799; d. before 1803.
15. MATILDA3 WRIGHT (BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born Abt. 1767 in Amherst Co. Va.. She married JOSEPH CASH Abt. 1781 in Amherst Co. Va..
Notes for JOSEPH CASH:
See Amherst Co. Va. Deed Bk:F:188.
Children of MATILDA WRIGHT and JOSEPH CASH are:
i. MARY4 CASH.
ii. JESSE CASH.
iii. JOHN CASH.
iv. CHARLES CASH.
v. JOSEPH CASH.
vi. DANIEL CASH.
vii. WESTLEY CASH.
viii. POWHATTEN CASH.
ix. JAMES T. CASH.
x. WILLIAM H. CASH.
16. JESSE3 WRIGHT (ISAAC2, FRANCIS1) was born 1760 in Amherst Co. Va., and died Aft. 1830 in Wayne Co. KY. He married DOROTHY PAYTON April 07, 1786 in Kentucky Co. Va. (Wayne Co. KY).
Children of JESSE WRIGHT and DOROTHY PAYTON are:
i. JOEL4 WRIGHT, m. KATHERINE CALHOUN, 1834, Wayne Co. KY.
ii. NANCY WRIGHT, m. ADAM VICKERY, 1819, Wayne Co. KY.
iii. ISAAC WRIGHT.
iv. JOHN WRIGHT, b. 1787, Lincoln Co. KY.
25. v. MOSES WRIGHT, b. October 22, 1788, Lincoln Co. KY; d. September 17, 1871, Monticello, KY.
vi. JESSE WRIGHT, JR., b. Aft. 1790, Lincoln Co. KY.
vii. ELIZABETH WRIGHT, b. September 27, 1790, Lincoln Co. KY.
viii. VIRGINIA WRIGHT, b. May 24, 1792; d. Bef. December 1823; m. ULYSSES MILLS, November 29, 1816, Wayne Co. KY.
ix. OLIVER WRIGHT, b. May 24, 1794.
x. ENOCH WRIGHT, b. November 22, 1796.
xi. PHILLIPPA WRIGHT, b. 1798.
xii. ELIZABETH WRIGHT, b. August 25, 1798.
xiii. WILLIAM D. WRIGHT, b. Aft. 1800.
xiv. KARENHAPPUCK WRIGHT, b. December 18, 1800; m. JAMES STEPHENS, December 25, 1822, Wayne Co. KY.
xv. ELLIS WRIGHT, b. September 08, 1802, Mills Springs, Kentucky; d. April 02, 1877, Craig, MO; m. MINASHA (GRAHAM?) HINDS, December 31, 1822, Mills Springs, Kentucky.
xvi. CLEBER M. WRIGHT, b. 1804.
xvii. OCTAVIA WRIGHT, b. 1806.
17. ELLIS3 WRIGHT (ISAAC2, FRANCIS1) was born December 1783 in Amherst Co. Va., and died September 30, 1860 in Wayne Co. KY. He married (1) MISS GOFF OF BEDFORD CO. VA. He married (2) ANN JONES.
Children of ELLIS WRIGHT and ANN JONES are:
i. BURDITT4 WRIGHT.
ii. NANCY ANN WRIGHT, m. FLEMING BATES.
iii. EVAN ELLIS WRIGHT.
iv. JOSEPH E. WRIGHT.
v. JOSHUA WRIGHT.
vi. SOPHIA WRIGHT.
vii. WINNEFRED WRIGHT.
Generation No. 4
18. BENJAMIN4 WRIGHT (MOSES3 , BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born Abt. 1775 in Amherst Co. Va., and died Aft. 1855 in Amherst Co. Va. or Nelson Co. Va.?. He married (1) NANCY CAMPBELL February 12, 1805 in Amherst Co. Va., daughter of JOHN CAMPBELL and FRANCES ______. He married (2) DICEY CAMPBELL March 12, 1821 in Nelson Co. Va..
Notes for BENJAMIN WRIGHT:
Some of the children's names came from a World Family CD, #9594; don't have the volume #.
On his marriage record to Nancy Campbell: Parent of wife, John Campbell; Securities and witnesses, James Cash, John W. Wright, S. Garland, Alexander Gillespie. Date Feb 12, 1805, Amherst Co. Va. register of Marriages.
On his marriage license to Dicey Campbell, date March 21, 1821, Nelson Co. Va Securities: Jesse Wright, S. Garland. Marriage register 1&2, pg. 15.
On Feb 4, 1851, Benjamin Wright in Amherst Co. Va. filed for Bounty Land by reason of his service in the War of 1812, and also 5 April 1855. The records are in File Bounty Land Warrants 19185-80-55. In 1855, he said he was 80 years old.
More About BENJAMIN WRIGHT:
Residences: 1850 Amherst Co. Va. census
Military: War of 1812, Va. Militia
Children of BENJAMIN WRIGHT and NANCY CAMPBELL are:
i. CHARLES5 WRIGHT.
ii. JAMES WRIGHT.
iii. JESSE WRIGHT, m. ____ PEYTON.
iv. LOVISA WRIGHT, b. Va.; d. OH; m. LEWIS WICKLINE.
v. MOSES WRIGHT, d. Gallia Co. OH; m. ELLEN J. PORTER.
vi. RHODA WRIGHT, d. Gallia Co. OH; m. WILLIAM PROSE, September 03, 1840, Amherst Co. Va..
vii. WYATT WRIGHT, b. July 01, 1807, Amherst Co. Va.; d. June 30, 1897, Gallia Co. OH; m. (1) ELIZA PORTER; m. (2) SUSSANAH LOVE.
viii. GEORGE WASHINGTON WRIGHT, b. June 19, 1813; d. July 20, 1859, Gallia Co. OH; m. RACHEL SLAGLE.
Children of BENJAMIN WRIGHT and DICEY CAMPBELL are:
ix. BURWELL5 WRIGHT.
x. ALEXANDER WRIGHT, b. March 03, 1822; d. October 14, 1891, Lewisburg, W.V.; m. CAROLINE JAMIESON HUDSON, June 15, 1846, Nelson Co. Va..
xi. MARBLE WRIGHT, b. May 1827; d. 1907.
xii. NANCY ALICE WRIGHT, b. May 1827; m. JESSE W. MAYS.
xiii. BENJAMIN WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1828.
xiv. BETSY WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1830.
xv. SOPHIA WRIGHT, b. 1831.
xvi. MELANDER WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1832; m. POLLY CAMPBELL, September 13, 1866.
xvii. MALINDA WRIGHT, b. 1832.
xviii.DANIEL LEWIS WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1833; m. NANCY B..
xix. DICEY WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1835.
xx. MARY WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1836.
xxi. MARTHA WRIGHT, b. 1838.
26. xxii. BURCH W. WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1840, Amherst Co. Va.
19. MARY NANCY 4 WRIGHT(MOSES3 , BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born February 1775 in Amherst Co. Va., and died Aft. 1830 in Maybe DeKalb Co. Ga.. She married JAMES CASH October 20, 1792 in Amherst Co. Va.Consent of her father, Moses Wright, son of STEPHEN CASH and HANNAH ______.
Notes for JAMES CASH:
The names of their children are listed in a family Bible owned by descendants of James L. Cash. This Bible also gives the birth and death dates of James Cash.
James Cash was the son of Stephen Cash and his second wife, Hannah _____.
Children of MARY WRIGHT and JAMES CASH are:
27. i. HOWARD5 CASH, b. October 09, 1794, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Aft. 1850, probably in DeKalb Co. Ga..
28. ii. BELINDA CASH, b. December 28, 1796, Amherst Co. Va..
iii. STEPHEN H. CASH, b. January 01, 1799, Amherst Co. Va.; m. SALLY TUCKER, January 24, 1824, Amherst Co. Va..
iv. GEORGE WASHINGTON CASH, b. May 25, 1801, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Aft. 1878, DeKalb Co. Ga.; m. LUCINDA CASH, January 03, 1824, Amherst Co. Va..
v. JAMES L. CASH, b. October 08, 1808, Amherst Co. VA.; d. Living 1850 Harris Co. Ga. census; m. NANCY FORD.He was a Methodist minister.
vi. WILLIAM L.(?) CASH, b. June 09, 1809, Amherst Co. Va..
vii. ELDRIDGE S. CASH, b. Abt. 1811, Amherst Co. Va.; d. in 1840 DeKalb Co. Ga. census & deeds.
viii. ELBERT L. CASH, b. May 21, 1813, Amherst Co. VA.; d. Living 1850 Bibb Co. Ga.; m. CAROLINE FOSTER, Abt. 1834, Greene Co. Ga.
20. JOHN W.4 WRIGHT (MOSES3 WRIGHT (BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born 1780 in Amherst Co. Va., and died Bef. 1840 in ? Va.. He married EFFEY CASH June 17, 1801 in Amherst Co. Va., daughter of WILLIAM CASH and JANE PATTERSON.
Notes for JOHN W. WRIGHT:
This line was researched by Betty Ratzman, Spokane, WA.
Children of JOHN WRIGHT and EFFEY CASH are:
i. MARY5 WRIGHT, b. Virginia; m. RUFFIN BRANCHCOMB, May 23, 1842, Pike Co. Ohio.
29. ii. MOSES WRIGHT, b. March 12, 1803, Amherst Co. Va.; d. June 17, 1882, Pike Co. Ohio. He and wife buried Gregg's Hill Cem. m. LYDIA McCANN.
iii. WILLIAM WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1807, Amherst Co. Va.; d. September 06, 1878, Piketon, Pike Co. OH; m. SARAH
30. iv. ELIZABETH WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1809, Amherst Co. Va; d. Abt. 1851, Newton Twp. Pike Co. Ohio. m. ALEXANDER LOGAN, JR.
v. NANCY WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1815, Virginia; m. WASHINGTON MAY, August 11, 1836, Pike Co. Ohio.
31 vi. MALINDA WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1820, Amherst Co. Va.; d. October 30, 1895, Utica, Seward, Nebraska. m. ALEXANDER LOGAN, JR.
vii. MARTHA ANN WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1824, Virginia; m. JAMES THOMAS ZIMMERMAN, April 26, 1851, Pike Co. Ohio.
21. ELIZABETH 4 WRIGHT (MOSES3BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born 1784-1790 in Amherst Co. Va., and died 1830-1840 probably in Hall or DeKalb Co. Ga. She married STEPHEN P. CASH October 08, 1806 in Amherst Co. Va., son of WILLIAM CASH and JANE PATTERSON.
More About ELIZABETH WRIGHT:
Residences: Amherst Co. VA.
Residences: DeKalb Co. and Hall Co. Ga.
More About STEPHEN P. CASH:
Residences: Amherst Co. VA.
Residences: DeKalb Co. and Hall Co. Ga.
Children of ELIZABETH WRIGHT and STEPHEN CASH are:
i. SALLY5 CASH, b. January 27, 1808, Amherst Co. Va.; m. COBB (FIRST NAME UNKNOWN)
ii. ROSIE CASH, b. January 11, 1810, Amherst Co. Va.; m. ALKNOMAC CLEGHORN.
iii. MORRIS WILLIAM CASH, b. September 15, 1812, Amherst Co. Va.; d. January 11, 1890, Hall Co. Ga. Buried Union Bapt. Ch Cemetery, Hall Co. Ga.; m. (1) ELMINA CLEGHORN, September 29, 1833, Hall Co. Ga.; m. (2) NANCY JANE YOUNG, March 19, 1847, Hall Co. Ga..
More About MORRIS WILLIAM CASH:
Religion: Union Baptist Church, Hall Co. GA
Occupation: Farmer, Blacksmith
Residences: Amherst Co. Va.; came to Ga. abt 1827 with father.
Notes for ELMINA CLEGHORN:
Elmina Cleghorn was the first wife of Morris William Cash. She was the daughter of Nancy Jones and James Cleghorn who died in 1832 in Hall Co. Ga.
Notes for NANCY JANE YOUNG:
Nancy Jane Young was the second wife of Morris William Cash, and the direct ancestress of Thelma Faye Cain Prince, the compiler of this genealogy. Nancy Jane Young's parents are unproven, but it is believed that she was the daughter of Warren Young and her mother was Linney Asbury Young. Warren was the son of Stephen Young of Madison Co. Ga. Warren died prior to 1827, because his orphans drew land in the 1827 Land Lottery; however all their names were not given in that record.
Nina Mae Cash Sells, daughter of Willis Warren Cash, and grandaughter of Nancy Jane Young Cash told me that Nancy had a sister, Celia Young Orr of Hall Co. Ga.
More About NANCY JANE YOUNG:
Religion: Union Baptist Church, Hall Co. Ga.
Residences: Hall Co. Ga.
iv. PLENEY CASH, b. November 17, 1814, Amherst Co. Ga..
v. ELBERT CASH, b. December 03, 1816, Amherst Co. Va.; d. October 14, 1833, Hall Co. Ga.
vi. CAROLINE CASH, b. January 18, 1819, Amherst Co. Va.; m. (1) JAMES M. SIMPSON, (2) WINSTON H. CASH, December 12, 1858, DeKalb Co. Ga. James M. Simpson died before 3 May 1852, date of the guardianship record of his children applied for by Rufus H. Cash then.
vii. BETSIE CASH, b. March 10, 1821, Amherst Co. Va.; d. March 30, 1837; m. _____ HOUSE.
viii. RUFUS H. CASH, b. April 27, 1825, Amherst Co. Va.; d. Aft. 1872, living in DeKalb Co. Ga. in 1872; m. SARAH CAMPBELL, August 30, 1848, DeKalb Co. Ga..
ix. MALISA CASH, b. August 13, 1830, Ga.
22. MORRIS4 WRIGHT (MOSES3BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born Abt. 1787 in Amherst Co. Va., and died in Rockbridge Co.Va.. He married NANCY CASH, daughter of Thomas Cash. See 1850 Rockbridge Co. Va. census.
Child of MORRIS WRIGHT and NANCY CASH is:
i. GEORGE W.5 WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1817.
23. JESSE4 WRIGHT (MOSES3BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born Abt. 1793 in Amherst Co. Va., and died May 15, 1873 in Amherst Co. Va.. He married (1) JANE PROFITT January 04, 1819 in Nelson Co. Va., daughter of RANDOLPH PROFFITT and MILLEY BALL. He married (2) ELIZABETH CAMPBELL February 03, 1827 in Amherst Co. Va., daughter of GEORGE CAMPBELL and EDY WHITEHEAD.
Notes for JESSE WRIGHT:
Death Certificate shows him to be son of Moses and Elizabeth Wright. His will may be found in Amherst Co. Will Book 19:84. In 1882, the will was contested in circuit court of Amherst Co. after his widow, Elizabeth, died. All his children from the two wives are shown in those records. This family was researched by Grace Wright Kraas.
Child of JESSE WRIGHT and JANE PROFITT is:
32. i. SHELTON H.5 WRIGHT, b. July 20, 1820; d. September 18, 1862.
Children of JESSE WRIGHT and ELIZABETH CAMPBELL are:
ii. EADY S.5 WRIGHT, b. 1828; m. GEORGE T. CAMPBELL.
iii. JACKSON WRIGHT, b. 1829.
iv. ELIZABETH WRIGHT, b. 1831.
v. MARTHA WRIGHT, b. 1833.
vi. GEORGE W. WRIGHT, b. 1836; d. 1857; m. E. WRIGHT, 1853.
vii. MARY JANE WRIGHT, b. 1842; d. Aft. 1881; m. CHARLES H. WRIGHT, September 21, 1862.
viii. MORRIS W. WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1847; m. ELIZABETH ANGUS, February 22, 1871.
ix. FRANCES MALVERNA WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1849; m. S.C. PRIBBLE.
x. ITHENA WRIGHT, b. Abt. 1856.
24. BETHENA4 WRIGHT (MOSES3BENJAMIN2, FRANCIS1) was born Abt. 1795 in Amherst Co. Va., and died Aft. 1847 in Probably Edgar Co. IL. She married REUBEN CASH December 18, 1816 in Amherst Co. Va.
Children of BETHENA WRIGHT and REUBEN CASH are:
i. WILLIAM MADDERSON5 CASH, b. October 16, 1817.
ii. ROSA JANE CASH, b. February 27, 1819; d. December 26, 1875, Henry Co. Missouri; m. JOHN E. JENKINS, February 09, 1835, Nelson Co. Va.
iii. HENRY HARRIS CASH, b. February 08, 1821, Amherst Co. Va.; d. May 24, 1904, Shelbyville, IL.; m. REBECCA EVINGER, April 03, 1850, Westfield, IL
33. iv. CARY JEFFERSON CASH, b. March 08, 1823, Amherst Co. Va.
v. ELPHINGTON ANDERSON CASH, b. January 22, 1825; d. December 1847.
vi. LAFAYETTE SHELTON CASH, b. January 12, 1827.
vii. WASHINGTON BEVERLY CASH, b. January 02, 1831.
viii. MARION PTOLEMY CASH, b. April 14, 1833.
25. MOSES4 WRIGHT (JESSE3, ISAAC2, FRANCIS1) was born October 22, 1788 in Lincoln Co. KY, and died September 17, 1871 in Monticello, KY. He married (1) NANCY DICKERSON. He married (2) SARAH NICHOLAS.
Children of MOSES WRIGHT and NANCY DICKERSON are:
i. GEORGE WASHINGTON5 WRIGHT, b. 1816; d. 1882; m. PHIDELLA EDGEMOND/EDGMAND.
34. ii. DANIEL PEYTON WRIGHT, b. 1819.
iii. ARTEMETHA WRIGHT, b. 1822; m. JOHN RUTHERFORD.
iv. SUSANNAH WRIGHT, b. 1823.
v. ELIZABETH WRIGHT, b. 1827.
vi. JESSE WRIGHT, b. 1829; d. 1852; m. SARAH JANE COLLINS.
35. vii. JOHN E. WRIGHT, b. 1829; d. 1863.
36. viii. JOHN C. WRIGHT, b. 1832; d. 1870.